hello tucker.

over the break my sweet dog passed away :'( Tucker <3
i got tucker when i was nine. i still remember the day perfectly. my parents picked my sister up from high school and then they picked me up early from elementary school. they blindfolded us and wouldn't tell us where we were going. we ended up going home and sat on the couch in our living room. they told us we could take the blindfolds off. we looked around and both stared at each other in confusion. my dad rambled on about how this was an early christmas present and then proceeded to hand my sister and i a folder. quickly we opened the folder and there was a picture of a golden retriever. immediately my sister began screaming in excitement, "NO WAY!?!" and i sat there puzzled. (i didn't get it...ha). my sister got up and bolted to the back door. clueless, i just jumped up and followed my sisters lead. as we ran to the back door there i stood, stunned. through the screen door i saw the most wonderful golden retriever running around in front of the door, so anxious to meet the people staring back at him. i remember that feeling so well. it was by far one of the best feelings in my life. tucker was my best friend. i don't consider him just a 'pet'. he was a member of my family. 
growing up, my brother was gone when i was pretty young because of the big age gap. i still had my sister but she too left for college when i was pretty young. so growing up i felt like an only child, but i always had tucker. i was never alone because he was always there for me. tucker passed away on december 22, 2010. i spent the last few hours lying beside him, hugging him and loving him. he was 14 and the doctor said he probably had cancer (which is how most dogs end up dying when they get older). that was a really sad time for me and i didn't leave my house for quite awhile. it sucks. a lot. i miss him and think about him every day. it was a really depressing christmas because we were missing a member of our family. but i'm so unbelievably grateful that tucker waited for me to get home from hawaii before he left. my parents said that about 2 weeks before i got home tucker was doing really bad and they honestly didn't think he was going to make it. but he held on for me, i know it. 
it's really hard having to say goodbye to someone that you love so much. 
i miss you tucker, more than words can describe. i sleep with your blanket every night now and i wish more than anything you were still here. but i'm happy you're not suffering anymore. you ARE the most amazing dog. (i hate the past tense). i love you forever. thank you for always being there for me and being my best friend.
"dogs aren't our whole life, but they make our lives whole"
L

No comments