hello lovely.

saturday morning i had the opportunity to go to a retirement community and help do some yard work and clean up the elderly's homes. it was seriously so much fun. i'm so lame i know. but i loved it. those old people were so sweet and funny. i find people so interesting. everyone's story. their history. their trials. i talked to this one lady who is 92 years old. 92... i'm turning 20 soon and i feel old? it's honestly such a beautiful thought to know that there are so many more lovely events to come in my life. 
while we were there i had the chance to make a new friend. his name is ford. ford has down syndrome and honestly is one of the funniest & nicest guys. talking to him i couldn't help but smile. he is so kind and friendly. i saw him yesterday and sat and talked with him for awhile in the aloha center.
me: "ford, what's been the best part of your day so far?"
ford: (leans back in his chair, takes a deep breath, and throws his hands behind his head) "ahhh this, reeeee-laxing!!" 
i love the pleasure he takes out of the simple moments in life. whenever i see him around he just gives me the biggest smile and wave and it makes my day. i'm sure he has no idea how wonderful it is to chat with him, but it is indeed quite lovely.
lovely. that's how things are feeling out here in hawaii. quite lovely. i'm learning to appreciate the smaller things in life. i'm learning to put others before myself. i'm learning to be happy. i'm learning to find joy in everything i do. i'm learning to love life. 

2 comments

  1. I love this! Old people really are the greatest. And I love hearing people's stories too!

    I just came to your blog from McKenzie's blog and I'm loving it already! I want to print off this cute LOVELY and hang it up in my house! Haha. Hope you're having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw thank you so much, you're too sweet!! loving your blog as well :)

    ReplyDelete