>master of my fate.


i've currently been reading playing the enemy by john carlin which is about nelson mandela uniting the apartheid south africa through the rugby world cup. it was later turned into a movie called invictus, which is also the title of this poem. 

out of the night that covers me,
black as the pit from pole to pole,
i thank whatever gods may be
for my unconquerable soul.

in the fell clutch of circumstance
i have not winced nor cried aloud.
under the bludgeonings of chance
my head is bloody, but unbowed.

beyond this place of wrath and tears
looms but the horror of the shade,
and yet the menace of the years 
finds, and shall find, me unafraid. 

it matters not how strait the gate,
how charged with punishments the scroll.
i am the master of my fate:
i am the captain of my soul. 

the last two lines have been on my mind a lot lately, replaying over and over. 
i am the master of my fate:
i am the captain of my soul. 
i've been sitting here for awhile, trying to type the right words to describe what it means to me. but nothing seems to really describe it well enough. so i'll let it sink in your own hearts and minds to decide what it means. 
-lo

No comments