Utah Winter Wonderland


If you know me, then you know that I LOVE the snow. This love for snow started when I was a little kid. Growing up in Georgia, we hardly ever got snow. Maybe, if we were lucky, once a year. But when we did it was pure MAGIC. The entire state would shut down. School was canceled. Everyone got off of work early and we would spend the entire day playing in the snow. Now, we're only talking maybe an inch haha. We would sled down the hills until it was straight mud we were sledding on haha. 

Do you guys remember that disney channel original movie The Ultimate Christmas Present? Basically that was my dream to have a magical snow machine. Or do you guys know how Lorelai Gilmore gets when it snows and how everything good happens in the snow? Again... me. 

But here's the downfall... somehow, the person that loves snow more than anyone else, has accumulated a snow curse. I'm being 100% serious here.

Since moving to Hawaii for college I've been cursed with always missing the snow. We've had these major snow storms in Georgia (snowpocalypse... it's a real thing, google it) and I've been gone for every single one. Or better yet, I'll visit a cold place like Utah in the middle of winter and it won't snow. "Oh this is so weird, it's an abnormally warm week right now, we normally have snow during this time." If I had a dollar every time I heard that while visiting a cold place, I'd be rich. No joke. Finally, we decide to move to Utah and I'm like okay, here is my chance. I'm living here September-December, it has to snow. 

And guys... it didn't snow!!! But it did snow in the mountains, so we drove up and I got my dose of snow so I'm not entirely mad at Utah and my snow curse.

But the irony is that as we were driving across the country back to Georgia, they get a huge snow storm, 2 days before we were to arrive. I believe Georgia got more snow that day than in the last 20 years. 

I'm trying to just laugh about it at this point because I'm cursed and it is what it is, but I just can't get over it. Right now the temperature in Georgia is 19 degrees. It's staying under 32 degrees all week and then the day before my birthday it's supposed to rise to 54 degrees, rain, and then drop back down the next day (my birthday) back down to freezing temperatures. THIS IS THE CURSE. It's like mother nature is taunting me. 

But with all of that said, I am SOOOO grateful that I had this magical day in Utah. It began to snow in the mountains and I was freaking out. I thought this might be our only chance for snow before we moved, so we jumped in the car and began to drive up to Park City. Now here is the big laugh, about 10 minutes into our drive and up the canyon our car makes this 2 second weird noise and then Kenneth goes... "Umm I think our power steering is out..." 

Yes, it was.

This is also the second time this has happened to us in this particular car. It was pretty comical, it just confirms the snow curse to me. So we pulled off at the next exit to asses the car and decided it would be better to turn around than risk any other factors. I was feeling so bummed but Kenneth had such a good attitude about it and was like, let's just walk off to the side and enjoy the snow that's here. 

And that we did. Harley got to experience the snow for the first time and my heart just about melted at how much he loved it. He was SO happy. 

We drove home and crossed our fingers that there would be another chance to see snow. Lucky for us, it did snow again in the mountains. This time, we made sure we were prepared and off we went. I really didn't think we would see much snow because it didn't look like it snowed much. But the further back we drove in Millcreek Canyon, it turned into this magical, hidden, winter wonderland. 
We did a few hikes along the drive. We would just drive, pull over, explore a little, and continue driving. It continued to get prettier and prettier the further back we went. 
^Harley would just run and run and run. He loved the snow so much.
^Harley thinking that he has the most annoying dad in the world for dumping snow on his face. I agree Harley, I agree.
We continued driving until the road closed and we got to the most beautiful hike. People were snow skiing along the way or out with their dogs and it was as happy as it gets. 
^ Harley living his best life
I could have hiked along that road for ever (Harley too).
Smothering Harley with love, what else is new.
Harley passed out for the rest of the day and most of the next haha. He was so worn out. It was such a perfect day with my two favorite guys. I know it probably sounds cheesy but it really is a memory I never want to forget. 

xo, Lo

No comments